August 23, 2011

The muffin that will change your life...

Seriously. 

I mean...woah.

It started with a desire to make muffins for us to have for breakfast for a few days, which I often do on the weekends.  I wanted to find a good oatmeal-based muffin because for one, they're yummy, and two, they are much more filling than just a flour-y muffin.  Google came to the rescue with this recipe from Simple Bites.  The creator, Aimee gives tips on how to improve your own muffin recipes and shares a basic oatmeal muffin recipe that you can whip up with your desired add-ins.  I chose to mix in white chocolate chips and fresh blueberries.  My mouth is watering just thinking about them...

Please.  Make these soon.  And please don't let the pictures make you think they are any less delicious than they really are.  Still having to use the stupid phone for pictures until our camera is fixed. Here are the ingredients for the version I made. Please note that the first step of soaking the oats takes an hour, so make sure you start these early if you want them ready in time for breakfast!


White Chocolate Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon white vinegar (if you have it on hand, you can use 1 cup buttermilk in place of the milk and vinegar)
  • 1 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats)
  • 1 egg, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar (recipe calls for dark, I used light...ain't no thang)
  • 1/2 cup butter melted, slightly cooled
  • 1 cup plus 1 tablespoons all-purpose flour (I used half whole wheat flour)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1  cup blueberries
1. Combine milk, vinegar, and oats in a large bowl and let sit for one hour.

2. Preheat oven to 375 and grease twelve muffin cups or use paper liners.

3. Add egg and brown sugar to oat mixture and combine.  Stir in melted butter.

4. Stir in flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Stir gently, do not over mix.

5. Gently fold in the blueberries and white chocolate.



6. Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full.  Doing this I got 10 muffins.  10 muffins did not go far in our house...

7. Bake for 12-14 minutes.  The recipe calls for 10-12, but when you're using fresh fruit it can take longer.  Bake until light brown.  Let muffins cool in pan for at least 10 minutes before digging in.


Try these and let me know if they don't make you a certified muffin nut. I promise you'll never want to resort to a Martha White mix ever again! I had visions of quitting my job and making and selling just these muffins to support our family.  Until I get my commercial-sized oven (and a place to put it) I will settle for sharing the recipe with you :)  I think next time I will try the cranberry/pecan version.  And by next time, I mean AFTER I make these again...









Photobucket

The DIY Show Off



The Shabby Nest

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try them! Hopefully this weekend! Yum-o!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of putting blueberries and white chocolate together. Sounds yummy!
    Thanks for sharing at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will join me again next week for another great party filled with amazing recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love know what you think!