October 16, 2011

Quick Art Re-Do

My lovely and talented mother painted a little somethin somethin for me last year for Christmas. I think it's cute, but the problem is that while four rooms in our house have some blue and brown going on, none of the colors in the painting matched any of the shades in our house. So after getting my mom's blessing to pretty much destroy it, I set off to create something new! This is what I started with:




I had found a quote on Pinterest a few days ago that I thought would be sweet to use in our house somehow, so this was my chance! I used some foam letter stickers to haphazardly form the quote. I've used this "jumbled" arrangement of words for pretty much my whole life for art projects because it's so much easier than trying to do things in straight lines. Lazy? Genius? You decide.


It says "My favorite part about HOME is who I share it with" and then 5-22-10, which was our wedding date.


Out came the trusty "Ocean Breeze" spray paint...




Then it was just a matter of letting it dry (and picking off the bugs that got stuck on it while drying... one of the hazards of doing this kind of thing in the back yard) and then carefully pulling off the stickers. Now I could definitely go back and modge podge some designs on it or a number of other ideas, but I sort of love the simplicity of it. The pretty blue color pops on our brown bedroom walls and the message is just kind of like the icing on the cake! It's neat how mom's original painting peeps through. This is definitely one of those things that looks better in person but I tried to take different pics to give you an idea of the finished product.
























 







 

The DIY Show Off


Boogieboard Cottage

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my blog :) We are blog twins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a cute idea.:) I'm a huge fan of the random letters too.:) Definitely genius.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love know what you think!