October 26, 2011

Pretty hair with a pear!


A few weeks ago I was perusing  through an issue of Whole Living magazine and found a recipe that caught my interest. But it wasn't a recipe for something to eat, it was for my hair! I often see DIY skin and hair treatments but a lot of times they have ingredients that I don't have on hand or can't find at my local stores. But this one had simple ingredients and if it worked I would be stoked!

The article says that pears contain sorbitol which moisturize hair and nourish the scalp. A quick search on the interwebs will result in lots of info on why apple cider vinegar is good for you both internally and externally. In terms of your hair, apple cider vinegar can result in volume, shine, and can reduce dandruff and hair loss.



This is so easy, folks. Peel your pear (the article says that the darker varieties of pears have more of the good-for-your-hair stuff), cut it up and throw it in the blender, discarding seeds, stem, and any hard spots. Blend it up with two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and two cups of water. Strain mixture and discard solids.





Now just massage this mixture into your hair after shampooing and before conditioning. Be sure to rinse well because no matter how well you strained the mixture earlier, you'll feel little hard pear bits in your hair. Then just style as usual!


I'll be the first to admit that there may be a little bit of a placebo effect going on here, but I really do see a difference after I use this. My hair looks healthier and shiny and seems to have a little more volume than usual. I also love the idea of using all-natural ingredients for beauty/hygeine purposes and avoiding all the nasty chemicals that are in most mainstream products. This little experiment has me excited to try other skin and hair care treatments that I can make myself!
 
Have you ever tried any DIY beauty treatments? If so, I'd love to hear about your favorites!

What I Whipped Up Wednesday

Delicately Constructed Friday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love know what you think!