October 20, 2011

Southwestern Chicken and White Bean Soup


Mmm...soup...

Today while I sat at my desk eating one of the most suprisingly delicious and satisfying lunches I've had in a really, really long time (salad from home; creamy potato and leek soup and cheddar scallion biscuit from Greenlife...ohmygosh!) I remembered a soup that I made several weeks ago that some of my FB friends had asked me to share the recipe for. Because I made it a while ago, I don't remember any major details other than:

1. It was mucho simplo (that's right, I speak fluent Spanish...)
2. We liked it!

That seems like good enough reasons to share with my friends. I do recall cooking the chicken the night before (I chose to grill some thin chicken breasts on my cast iron grill pan and then shredded it) and I used homemake chicken stock and cooked white beans from the freezer instead of the canned stuff. We topped ours with cheese (mine had some sour cream as well) and I made basic cheese quesadillas to eat with it. Great warm comfort food for this time of year. And who doesn't LOVE a crockpot recipe??

Southwestern Chicken and White Bean Soup
  • 1 pound cooked chicken breasts, shredded or cut into bite-size pieces
  • 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced (but who's counting? I always add more garlic!)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 (16oz) can white beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 large onion, chopped
1. Mix ingredients together in crock pot.
2. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours (or 4-5 hours on high).
3. Top with your favorite goodies and enjoy!

This recipe seems very flexible, and I'm thinking next time I could just throw my chicken breasts in the mix in the morning and when its time to eat just shred the meat. This soup would also be really easy to make on the stove top.






6 comments:

  1. Sounds so good Dana. Love your blog!!! Love you. Kathy (Mom in law) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy!! Thanks for following. :) Great blog!
    :)
    Yasi @ Hello, Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks tasty. Nice blog. New follower from Finding New Friends hop. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yum, I'm adding this - no, I'm pinning this so I can find it again! I'm also a garlic lover and always add way more than any recipe calls for. :D

    Thanks for visiting, I'm your newest follower!

    Mandi
    Smile and Mama With Me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds scrumptious! I can't wait to try it. I think I can even convince the kids to eat something like this. Thanks for sharing at Tasty Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to make this tonight!! We had homemade salsa lastnight and I still have the onion in the back of my throat...stickin' with a zip again!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love know what you think!