February 13, 2012

Chili...with pumpkin!

Yeah, yeah, I know what you're thinking. Pumpkin in chili does sound kind of grody. (I don't think I've used the word "grody" since I was in middle school. I'm not even sure I spelled it right...).

But, trust me- it's pretty good! I love the idea of adding canned (or fresh) pumpkin puree, because it doesn't affect the flavor really and its a great way to add some good-for-ya stuff without it feeling too healthy. I got this recipe from skinnytaste and just changed it up a bit. I have an upright freezer FULL of organic, Angus beef, so I used it instead of turkey. For my beans, I used great northern beans that I cooked and threw in the freezer a few months ago. I also threw in a small ziploc bag of corn leftover from dinner a few weeks ago. I knew that corn would come in handy! As usual, I also used my homemade chicken stock in place of the canned/box stuff.

One important note... I personally found the original recipe to be pretty bland, so I doctored it up with quite a bit of salt, chili powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. We also topped ours with sour cream, cilantro, and some shredded cheese. I served it with some homemade corn muffins. (Am I the only one who would rather eat a couple chunks of cornbread than a bowl full of ice cream??)

We both agreed that this tasted way better the next day and was a keeper...with my adjustments :) I think this is a great options for a cold winter night! And may or may not be DELISH with some fritos...just saying...



Crock Pot White Bean Chili with Pumpkin
Recipe from skinnytaste

cooking spray
2 lb 99% lean ground turkey (or ground beef)

1/2 tsp olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

3 garlic cloves, minced

1 tsp chili powder, to taste

2 bay leaves

2 tsp cumin

1 tsp oregano

2 (15 oz cans) of white northern or navy beans, rinsed and drained

15 oz can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)

4.5 oz canned chopped green chili

2 cups low sodium, fat free chicken broth (I used about 3 cups)

fat free sour cream for topping (optional)

chopped cilantro and chives for topping (optional)


1. In a skillet, brown and drain the meat. Throw in crock pot.

2. Cook the onions in a garlic for a couple of minutes until onions become soft. Add cumin and cook for another minute or so.

3. Add onions/garlic to crock pot along with the rest of the ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. Once done, remove bay leaves and give it a taste. Add more spice/salt to your liking! Top with sour cream, cheese, cilantro, and/or green onions.


Linking up...

Masterpiece Monday
Tuesday Talent Show
Tasty Tuesday Parade of Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love know what you think!