March 13, 2012

Spinach Brownies. Ya gotta trust me on this one...


I'm sure the name kinda freaked you out.

Sometime last year I ran across this recipe and the name weirded me out so much I had to check it out. I did, and I am SO GLAD I did! This is a savory recipe, not sweet. It's a great way to use either fresh or frozen spinach, and is a wonderful side for a lot of meals.

I used to make these in a 9x13 baking dish and then just slice them up into individual "brownies", but the problem was that between the two of us we could never eat them all before they started seeming "questionable" in the fridge. Fast forward to last week when I found a half-used bag of spinach in the freezer and thought I could make these, this time using my muffin pan. This was a stroke of genius because

1. Automatic individual portions
2. Each brownie would have crispy edges (which are delish)
3. I could freeze them and reheat individual brownies as we need them

Problem solved. These turned out so well in the muffin pan and they reheat great. The only thing I usually do different when I make them is add a little garlic powder. I try to stick with mostly mozzarella (or at least an Italian mix of cheeses), but I've also added some cheddar and it added a yummy sharpness. Just make sure that if you're using frozen spinach to squeeze out as much water as possible, because soggy spinach will make for soggy brownies. Ew.

Check out the recipe HERE and let me know what you think!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I'd love know what you think!